Thursday, May 7, 2009

FFFF+MMM=EEEE


For days now I have struggled with writing a review for Magic, Mensa and Mayhem by Karina Fabian. Why? Because it's a lousy book? Au contraire, mes amis; it's because I want to do it justice, and so far all my blogging attempts have fallen short. This book is so good, in my humble opinion, that I want to write something inspiring to let everyone else know what a great read it is.Unfortunately, I don't have that gift for words that Karina does, so I will limp along as well as I can.

Oh, I guess I should explain my title. Karina always says that she was a straight A student who now goes by straight F's: Family, Faith, Fiction and Fun. Add those to Magic, Mensa and Mayhem and you get Enjoyment, Enlightenment, Enchantment and Escape. What more can you ask for in a fantasy/humor novel? Tongue planted so firmly in cheek that it might get bitten, this film noir escapade is more fun than a barrelful of pixies, wilder than the Valkyries, full of twists and turns that keep the reader enchanted all the way through.

Vern, the longsuffering (at least in his mind) dragon PI and his saintly partner Sister Grace (a supermage from the Faerie Catholic Church) have been assigned to watch over the Faerie delegates to the big Mensa Convention in Florida. Grace also will be speaking in one session, but the main thing is to ride herd on the participants and keep things running smoothly with the Mundanes (that's what the Faerie folk call us). Should be a cakewalk, right? Easy peasy. Hah! Even on the plane, the pixies are pranking. At the convention, it's apparent something is wrong between the elves, and then there's that tricky, slick Coyote--not exactly a candidate for saint of the year. And poor Vern finds his dignity wounded in more ways than one as he is mistaken for an animatronic robot, feared by others, and picketed by yet another faction! This is one of the worse jobs he never got paid for, and yet he knows he must perform it all in a Godly and humble way. Hard even for a reformed dragon.

There's no way I can do this story justice, but I heartily recommend it for EVERYONE WHO CAN READ! Younger folks may not get all the humor, but they will still enjoy it. Without a doubt, this story proves that Vern and Grace could easily have a long running series of delightful adventures, full of fun and fantasy, but also faith. Who says serving God has to be a drag? Not this dragon, and not me either.

To learn more about Karina Fabian, check out her website at http://karinafabian.com .
To learn more about Vern and Dragon Eye PI, I urge you to check into his website http://www.dragoneyepi.net. And by the way: there's a cool contest going on at Dragoneye, PI for those who buy and read the book. Contest runs until May 29, 2009.

Now to the most important part: where to buy the book:
From the publisher, Swimming Kangaroo, or from Amazon.com. I expect that it will be available from other sources before long. It's too good to go unnoticed.

3 comments:

Karina Fabian said...

Thanks, Cathi! I'm glad you're feeling better, and as a math major of ages ago, I like the equation!

Blessings,
Karina

Walt said...

MM&M is also avaible for Kindle.

cathikin said...

Thanks, Walt.I forgot to mention it. Maybe because I am envious about not being able to afford Kindle!